If you do not see an aging friend or relative often, changes in his or her health may seem dramatic. In contrast, the primary caregiver might not notice such changes or realize that more help, medical treatment, or supervision is needed. Or, the primary caregiver might not want to accept the fact that the health […]
This author has not written his bio yet.
But we are proud to say that contractorgorilla contributed 70 entries already.
Entries by contractorgorilla
Before the ball drops in Times Square, promise yourself this year will be the year you become your own best caregiver. Resolve to do what thousands of others need to do – make time for yourself, because in so doing, you make your time with others better and more valuable. Here are some ideas to […]
Maintaining balance is the result of a complex interaction of many systems in the human body. With aging, changes occur that reduce how efficient these systems work. Many identifying risk factors for falling can be, but not limited to: balance/gait problems prior falls low vision limited ability to perform Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) depression […]
Only 10 percent of Americans will die suddenly. The remainder of us (90 percent) will decline slowly, growing weaker until we die. Because this process is so gradual, we often don’t recognize that a loved one is approaching the final weeks of life. This may be why most Americans, around 80 percent, die in institutions, […]
Shoring up Social Security En español | Social Security’s trust funds will fall short by 2034; if that happens, benefits would drop by about 20 percent, a 2018 government report says. Some elected officials have proposed cutting Social Security as part of deficit reduction. The results of congressional races in November could determine whether that gains momentum […]
by Tyrrell Hunter for Today’s Care Giver Newsletter If you don’t live near your aging parents, holiday visits are a great time to observe your parents’ behaviors and physical capabilities to see if they need more help performing daily activities. With some additional resources, such as appropriate assistive aids, your parents may be able to stay healthy […]
Keep a journal. Start today. Describe your fears as well as your hopes, the reality of what each day is like, Don’t be afraid to write about the losses, big or small. Stick with your journal. Let yourself record the little victories, go back and review the earlier months and years. Notice the personal, physical, emotional goals […]
Is successful aging a myth? We don’t think so. Research tells us that growing old doesn’t have to mean growing frail, tired or melancholy. However, when so many lived experiences are just that, it’s hard to believe successful aging is possible. Sure, you hear stories about octogenarians running marathons, but those are presented as outliers — […]
The benefits of in-home care vs. assisted living As a loved one ages they may develop conditions that prevent them from performing basic tasks. Family members may recognize that the person that they love isn’t able to take care of themselves and requires more assistance than the family can provide. This may be the time to consider […]
Prescription and over the counter (OTC) medications should both be considered when looking at drug interactions. Herbal remedies and food interactions can be a source of concern as well. Finally, drug reactions are just as critical as interactions since they can cause problems for the patient as well. Medication-Medication Interactions: Drug interactions are often a […]